Md. Zillur Rahman (মোঃ জিল্লুর রহমান محمد ظل الرحمن, born 9 March 1929) is the President of Bangladesh and a senior presidium member of the Awami League. He was declared the nineteenth president by the Election Commission of Bangladesh on 11 February 2009 when no other candidate filed to run in the presidential election since the Awami League won the vast majority of seats in the just completed parliamentary election, and he was sworn in on 12 February 2009.
Background and education
Zillur Rahman was born on 9 March 1929 at Poirtala, Brahmanbaria, his mother's paternal home, where he visited after becoming president recognising his birth place and he hails from Bhairab Upazila, Kishorganj. His father, Meher Ali Mian, was a renowned lawyer, the Chairman of the then Mymensingh Local Board and the Member of the District Board. In 1945, he passed Matriculation from Bhairab K. B. High School. He passed and Intermediate of Arts (IA) in 1947 from Dhaka Intermediate college. He earned a law degree and Master's Degree in history from Dhaka University.
Zillur Rahman participated in the Bengali language movement of 1952. Later, as an Awami League candidate, he was elected as a member of parliament in the 1970 national elections of Pakistan. During the Bangladesh Liberation War, Rahman actively participated in the Government-in-exile.
After the war, Rahman became the General Secretary of Awami League in 1972. He was elected as a member of the parliament in the 1973 general elections. After the assassination of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, Zillur Rahman was arrested by the army junta, and spent four years in prison.
Rahman served as a minister in the Awami League government between 1996 and 2001.
Rahman was married to Awami League politician Ivy Rahman, who was the Women's Affairs secretary of the party. Ivy Rahman was killed in the 2004 Dhaka grenade attack launched by Harkat ul Jihad al Islami (HUJI) terrorists.
- "Presidium Member of Awami League". 11 February 2009. http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-02/11/content_10802544.htm. Retrieved 11 February 2009.
- "Zillur Rahman declared new President of Bangladesh". 11 February 2009. http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/story.aspx?id=NEWEN20090083270&ch=2/11/2009%208:01:00%20PM. Retrieved 11 February 2009.
- "Birth Date". 11 February 2009. http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-02/11/content_10802544.htm. Retrieved 11 February 2009.
- Naya Digonto, Monday 9 March 2009
- Country crippled in hartal, Rail links collapse; cops club CPB leader Selim; today's hartal curtailed to 1pm, The Daily Star, 25 August 2004.