Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa (Arabic: خليفة بن سلمان آل خليفة) (born 24 November 1935) has been the unelected Prime Minister of Bahrain from 1971, hence is the longest-serving prime minister in the world. He still retains his post, although under the 2002 Constitution he has lost some of his power on paper, with Hamad having the authority to appoint and (along with the Bahraini parliament) dismiss ministers. He is the uncle of the reigning King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa.
Early life and education
He was born in Jasra, Bahrain, the second son of Salman ibn Hamad Al Khalifa, Hakim of Bahrain, and wife Mouza bint Hamad Al Khalifa. He was educated at Manama High School and Rifa’a Palace School in Bahrain.
He was Member of the Education Council from 1956 to 1957 and Chair between 1957 and 1960. Next he was subsequently Director of the Finance Department (1960–1966), Director of Finance and President of the Electricity Board (1961), Chair Manama Municipality (1962–1967), Head of the Bahrain Monetary Council (1965), Chair of the Joint Committee for Economic & Financial Studies, Committee for the Register of Commerce, Administry Council (1967–1970), and Bahrain Monetary Agency, President of the State Council (1970–1973), Head of the State Council (1970), Prime Minister since 1971, and Head of the Supreme Defence Council (1978).
Khalifa was appointed as Prime Minister by his brother Isa ibn Salman Al Khalifa, in 1971.
Marriage and children
Khalifa married Hessa bint Ali Al Khalifa, the fourth daughter of Ali bin Hamad Al Khalifa in Muharraq. They had three sons and one daughter:
- Mohammad bin Khalifa Al Khalifa (died 14 June 1974)
- Ali bin Khalifa Al Khalifa – Third Deputy Prime Minister. He married Zayn bint Khalid Al Khalifa with whom he has three sons and one daughter:
- Khalifa bin Ali Al Khalifa
- Isa bin Ali Al Khalifa
- Minwa bint Ali Al Khalifa
- Khalid bin Ali Al Khalifa
- Salman bin Khalifa Al Khalifa
- Lulwa bint Khalifa Al Khalifa – Honorary President of the Al Noor Beneficence Society. She married Rashid bin Khalifa Al Khalifa, artist and patron of the arts (born 1952)}. They have three sons and three daughters.
Titles, styles and honours
Titles and styles
- 24 November 1935 – 20 February 1942: Sheikh Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa
- 20 February 1942 – 21 October 2009: His Excellency Sheikh Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa
- 21 October 2009 – present: His Royal Highness Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa
- Order of Khalifa, 1st Class (Bahrain, 19 December 1979)
- Grand Cordon of the Orders of the Renaissance (Jordan, 4 November 1999)
- Grand Cordon of the Order of the White Elephant (Thailand, 3 December 2003)
- Order of the Two Rivers, 2nd class (Iraq, 3 April 1952)