Luis Federico Franco Gómez (born 24 July 1962) is a Paraguayan politician who is President of Paraguay since 22 June 2012. A member of the Authentic Radical Liberal Party (PLRA), he was elected as Vice President of Paraguay in the 2008 presidential election as the running mate of Fernando Lugo; he took office in August 2008. Following Lugo's impeachment by the Senate on 22 June 2012, he succeeded Lugo as President. to complete the presidential mandate until 15 August 2013.
Federico is a surgeon by profession. He is the brother of Julio César Franco, senator and former chairman of Authentic Radical Liberal Party, and also a former Vice President. Federico is also former chairman of PLRA and was Governor of Central Department from 2003 to 2008.
Federico Franco was born in the city of Asunción on 24 July 1962. He was married on 20 February 1982 to Emilia Alfaro, elected deputy of Paraguay for the period 2008–2013. He is the father of four children.
Franco studied primary school in the Dominican Republic, its baseline were conducted at the National College of the Capital. His secondary education took place in the Apostolic College San Jose, all in Asunción.
As for the tertiary level, he hoped to become a doctor so he entered the Faculty of Medical Sciences, National University of Asuncion. Upon completion of the coursework in 1986 he received the title of Surgeon with an overall average of 4.56 to 5.00. Then he obtained a graduate degree in Internal Medicine.
The Franco family owns a hospital in the city of Fernando de la Mora (Sanatorio Franco), he and his brothers owned, staffed since its inception. During the period 1990–1991 he served as head of interns and residents 1CCM Hospital de Clinicas (HC), also as head of emergency call, 1CCM (HC). He was an instructor of medical semiology (1991–1992), head of National Guard Hospital (1994–1996) and chief of internal medicine residents from the same place. He was also chief room of the National Hospital Medical Clinic and head of cardiology ward of the hospital.
On 24 June 1991 was a member of the Paraguayan Society of Internal Medicine and member of the Executive Committee of the Paraguayan Society of Internal Medicine.
Federico Franco was governor of the Central department during the 2003–2008 period, for the Authentic Radical Liberal Party. The party discussed in 2008 if they should support the ticket of Lugo in the presidential election or share the candidacy with him; the second option prevailed and Franco run for the vice-presidency under Lugo's ticket. He was critical of the presidency of Lugo, such as with the management of lands and the 2009 controversy about Lugo's son.
Lugo was impeached on 21 June 2012 and removed from office a day later. The UNASUR has expressed concerns that Lugo's removal amounted to a coup d'état, since Lugo had only two hours to prepare a defense. Federico Franco then became the new president, taking the oath of office an hour later. He is slated to complete Lugo's mandate, up to August 2013.
One of Franco's first acts was to replace Rubén Candia Amarilla as Interior Minister with Carmelo Caballero. Candia Amarilla had briefly succeeded Carlos Filizzola as Fernando Lugo's Interior Minister, after Filizzola resigned on 15 June.
- "Profile". Presidency of Paraguay. http://www.presidencia.gov.py/elvicepresidente.htm.
- "Federico Franco". http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-18553813. Retrieved 22 June 2012.
- "¿Quién es Federico Franco, el nuevo presidente paraguayo? [Who is Federico Franco, the new Paraguayan president?]" (in Spanish). La Nación. 22 June 2012. http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1484375-federico-franco-sera-el-nuevo-presidente-paraguayo. Retrieved 22 June 2012.
- "COMUNICADO UNASUR Asunción, 22 de Junio de 2012" (in Spanish). UNASUR. 22 June 2012. http://www.unasursg.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=698%3Acomunicado-asuncion-22-de-junio-de-2012&catid=68%3Acomunicados&Itemid=346. Retrieved 23 June 2012.
- "Paraguay: Franco asumió tras la destitución de Lugo [Paraguay: Franco took power after the removal of Lugo]" (in Spanish). La Nación. 22 June 2012. http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1484248-lugo. Retrieved 22 June 2012.
- (Spanish) laprensa.com.py, 23 June 2012, Infobae: quién es quién en el nuevo Gobierno de Federico Franco